Political Involvement: VEDA is a non-partisan, non-profit, and tax-exempt “501(c)(6)” organization. VEDA will not endorse any political candidate or party. VEDA will comply with all laws pertaining to the communication of VEDA’s vies on public policy matters to appropriate officials.
Policy Development: This policy statement is intended to provide guidelines for the development and communication of VEDA positions on legislative, regulatory and other public policy issues, and protocols for responding to media requests and inquiries. VEDA public position statements will generally focus on issues that affect the practice of the economic development profession, the competitiveness of Virginia and its communities, and the opportunities for sustained quality economic growth in our state. Generally, policy positions will be developed and communicated as follows:
- Issues or proposals will be brought to the attention of the Board of Directors by members, directors, officers, committees or the Executive Director.
- The President shall, if necessary, assign the issue to an appropriate VEDA committee for study and the development of a recommendation to the Board.
- The Legislative Committee will develop and report to the Board in August of each year a recommendation for VEDA policy positions on selected priority issues expected to be addressed during the next session of the Virginia General Assembly.
- In the event that the time available for effective action on a current issue will not allow separate study by the Legislative Committee or other committee, the Board may consider and act on the issue immediately.
- The Executive Committee is authorized to act on behalf of the Board of Directors under circumstances that require prompt action if VEDA is to have an effective opportunity to communicate its views in a timely manner.
- In the absence of a reasonable opportunity for a Board meeting, or if a special called meeting is not feasible in the judgment of the President, the Executive Committee shall act on the issues using its best judgment and with reasonable efforts to contact members of the Board of Directors by telephone or otherwise to obtain their views.
- The VEDA position will be communicated by means appropriate under the circumstances to those public officials having responsibilities or influence with respect to the issue, to the media, and to the members of VEDA by the President. In the absence of the President, or by his/her delegation of authority, such communication of VEDA's position may be made on behalf of the President by another Officer or by the Executive Director.
- A full report on any action taken by the Executive Committee or Officers between meetings of the Board of Directors will be provided at the next Board meeting.